Saturday, June 6, 2020

April/May 2020 Drive Report

It appears no one missed last month's report so I felt a reminder that you should be anxiously awaiting each month's report was appropriate. 😊

Since this report is covering 2 months, a report on the battery's 90 day adjustment is next and yes it happened pretty much right on schedule.  If you recall, the first adjustment was the largest ever  (2 cars!) so being a bit apprehensive was a bit of a concern despite multiple reports of  milder adjustments coming from all over the World.  This one started April 25 (the first one started January 25th and lasted 9 days) and ran 4 days.  I lost 1.29% SOH this time so hardly a good thing but at least it wasn't an extreme thing like the first one when I lost over 2½%.  Probably not a factor but in 2 of the 4 days, I DC'd and drove over 90 miles.

Either way, my current stats has me at ahr 167.90, SOH 95.18% with just over 8800 miles.  My mileage totals would have been much lower but had a unique opportunity to be part of a labor shift at work in order to address rapidly escalating needs caused by COVID 19.  This meant my normal 25 mile round trip commute went to 47 to 50 miles one way.  Yes, I was paid a bit more to do this but the real incentive was being paid 57 cents per mile from my home. 

I had only intended to do this for a few weeks just to see what it was like but after getting my first two reimbursement deposits, I quickly decided I was riding this cash cow into the ground! I mention this as justification for my driving over 3000 miles during the height of the stay at home phase.  I ended up doing 6 weeks at 4 days a week banking over $1300 in travel reimbursements.  All my charging during the first 3 weeks used my EVgo promo received when I picked up my E Plus.  EVgo sweetened the pot by dropping its lowest per minute rates 25% and removing the subscription requirement due to COVID.  This COVID  pricing was recently extended to June 30th.  I suspect that will be extended again.  The last 3 weeks, I only used EVgo on the last day of the work week, charging at home for the rest of the week. This was mostly done to gather info on best charge timer settings.

For the month of April, I drove 1668.2 miles averaging 3.93 miles/kwh using 400.54 kwh from EVgo and 6 kwh from home costing me an all time high for the Plus of $5.57 (8.44 cents/kwh)  In May I traveled 1354.2 miles averaging 4.11 miles/kwh using 118.57 kwh from EVgo and 236 kwh from home costing me $20.41.  (Guess that record didn't last long)

Neither month saw me using public AC charging. My main use is at Capital Mall in West Olympia when seeing a movie. Looks like that won't be happening any time soon... Hopefully Cinemark does not go under before then. Their movie club is a bargain.

Managing SOC

As mentioned, my long commutes enabled me to play with charge timers and I found the easiest way to control SOC was to set the timer so the car is still actively charging when you get up or are planning to leave.  Since I was normally up 90 minutes to 3 hours before my scheduled departure for work, I had that much leeway as far as how long I wanted to charge.  This meant not having to adjust my settings every day.  But even if adjustments were necessary, it quickly became a 10 second task after learning the navigation settings to the correct place.

Now I am still using the EVSE I got for my 2013 LEAF which did have a 6.6 KW AC charger but my panel was not up to the task. Living in an old house, my panel is a Zinsco which has since been banned for new construction or upgrades. This means getting breakers for the panel is all but out of the question.  Luckily, I  had an unused 30 amp breaker than had been used for a pump on the old septic system so I am restricted to 24 amp charging which is fine by me.  I have never been inconvenienced by this but then again, if you have followed this blog you would know I have done minimal home charging over the past 3½ years.

Well, that gravy train is all but gone. I have only a few bucks left on the EVgo promo, my NCTC expired in February so I am on my own. Either way, it took all of a few days to see that I charge about 10% per hour.  I say "about" because the LEAF SOC meter is not linear.

Now what makes sense is the meter on showing usable capacity and that would be great...but it doesn't. It has a hidden reserve that slowly grows as the SOC drops. When the SOC meter hits zero you have about 20 miles of range on the Plus so keep that in mind before you complain you didn't hit the EPA numbers.

With the Plus, the error is a non issue. Whether I charge to 60% or 65% is not important to me.  Its more than double (in some cases quadruple) the range I expect to need that day and its in the "good for battery" zone so all is good.

Decoding the Algorithm

Another thing I wanted to look into is why these 90 day adjustments are happening.  The 2018's all seemed to follow the exact same pattern. Numbers never rose. They either went down very slowly or stayed the same then after 90 days they would drop a chunk.  This went on for nearly everyone for 12 to 18 months then nearly everyone saw an adjustment that went up. There was also adjustments that stayed the same or simply were too small to notice (not everyone checks the LEAF Spy daily like I do)

Then the Plus came along and the 90 day adjustments are still there but this time there is a twist. Most are seeing small adjustments between ¾ to 1¼% but then we started seeing reports that people on their 2nd or 3rd adjustments saw numbers go up!  Remember the March 2020 Drive report?  I quoted a LEAFer in Phoenix who has gone double the miles I have and has half the degradation. But unlike me who has done 90% DC charging, he mostly does AC charging AND he always charges to full!

Now its one thing to state the obvious that Nissan is making progress towards a cell chemistry that doesn't need active cooling but to do it in Phoenix is way over the top!  Either way, I still do not recommend charging beyond what you need.  So if you need 200+ miles that day, charge to full!  But if you need 50 miles that day, I don't see any good reason to charge over 70-75%.

But maybe there is another reason for these adjustments? Could they be evaluations or predictions of how our pack will go? It isn't really possible for a pack to gain capacity so what other explanation is there for the increases?  What if our habits during one 90 day period were particularly bad so we got a very large drop but then the next 90 day period our habits were very good. Would that cause a change to the algorithm that created that very large drop so extreme that it results in an increase? 

Now I know this is pretty far out there but then again, I am in a unique position in that I am going from nearly all DC charging to nearly all AC charging.  Will this make a difference in my next adjustment? 

Breaking Down the Adjustments

As mentioned my first adjustment started Jan 25 or 2 months and a week after I picked up the car. This implies a build date "around" October 25, 2019 and 10/19 is the build date of record. Unfortunately, there were several other unusual events preceding the start of the adjustment including my 2nd full charge (the first was done by the dealership) for my Olympic Peninsula drive.

First Adjustment

First thing you will notice is nearly all my charging was DC @ 648.489 kwh.  Adding that it was winter this means I was charging the car every 2-4 days so my battery temps were generally low in the upper 40's to 50's most of the time.  Don't know if that matters but just putting it out there. 

Second Adjustment

My 2nd adjustment the high DC usage continues. During this adjustment I drove 3534.7 miles, adding 835.66 kwh of DC recording 875.1 kwh usage from the dash. So pretty much the same charging pattern as before.  This adjustment started during my 3rd week of labor share commuting. 

Currently I am now 50/50 on DC/AC charging since the 2nd adjustment. We shall see at the end of July if it made a difference. The results would be more valid if it was still Winter but I am planning a quarter of near 100% AC charging right after next January's adjustment so stay tuned. 

If you have any questions about the data presented, chime in thru the comments. If you are wondering, there is probably someone else wondering the same thing. 

10 comments:

  1. I think the main factor affecting SOH is how long the battery stays at high temperatures. Here in summer (Brisbane, Australia) I can generate battery temperatures that are as high as fast charges just driving around. In our summers, the LEAF 30kWh battery can’t cool down much and ends up spending most of the day around 30°C (86°F) and higher, even when it’s sitting overnight in the garage. I’m unfortunate in having a battery that is degrading at around 2% per month in summer and 1% in winter. It even degraded while parked in a garage for two weeks while I was overseas, based on the SOH trend before and after the trip. Unfortunately the daily temperature during that time peaked at 109°F in the shade!

    I used LeafSpy Pro to track the data from the car. I also plot daily min and max temperatures. For some reason, LeafSpy does not log temperatures?? The SOH trend slowed when the daily maximums consistently dropped below 30°C. DC Fast charging actually increases SOH for a day or so, before it eventually falls back to the trend line. AC charging to 100% does the same thing, so maybe it’s more about charging to 100% that affects the SOH algorithm? I typically charge to around 80% unless I mess up the timer calculations. We have 240V single phase here, and it charges reasonably fast overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Can you share the year, miles and SOH of your 30kwh leaf?
      In addition to the temperature, it seems that incomplete charges with original EVSE at 10A confuse the BMS ( per example consistantly charge between 40 and 80% at 10A).

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. LEAF Spy doesn't track ambient temps for good reason. It has no effective way to do so but it does track batt temps. But my LEAF has spent very little time at high temps or even very warm temps. I got it in November so I am just now starting to see warm weather and our Summer hasn't really arrived yet.

      Also need to consider the Plus pack is much advanced over the 30 kwh. I had a 30 kwh LEAF as well and due to its shorter range, I had to DC much more often so it spent a lot of time over 100ºF but it spent nearly no time at 100% SOC due the driving I did (30,000 miles in 14 months) but it suffered minimal capacity loss which led to my thinking that High SOC is the main culprit in most LEAFers degradation issues. Heat only makes the situation worse but doesn't degrade significantly if SOC is in the mid ranges.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree Dave! Probably due to the fact that in high socs the cell voltage is higher and this causes damage in the electrolyte at high temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct! The reason Nissan came out with huge promises was based on a cycle test of their gen one 24 kwh pack. They cycled on 80 min increments, charging for 60 mins, discharging for 20 mins for an "equivalent" 100,000 miles and lost less than 10% capacity. The kicker is the test was done over 28 days in an oven set to 140ºF.

      What they failed to realize is the cycle test didn't resemble how we charge and drive the car. The cycle test being so rapid meant nearly no time at high SOC (test supposedly cycled SOC from low 20's to low 90's)

      Delete
  3. After watching this on the mynissanleaf forum for a number of owners (and myself), I believe that the software is building a buffer in year one, through the quarterly reductions. Post that, it then does adjustments based on the behind the scenes real battery levels. I think this is why we see the vast majority of 2018 batteries sitting around 90%, but very flat for the year (a few a percent lower, a few a percent higher) post those adjustments. This would also explain why we would see increases in SOH in a few cases in year 2. No proof, just trying to map hypothesis to the data.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug; I have been thinking the very same thing for a while now. Now that most 2018's are hitting 2 years plus, be interested in seeing if any have sunk much lower like the mid 80's? I think I know one who was at 88% but everyone else seems to be in the low 90's.

      Delete
    2. Agreed, I haven't seen anything below about 87% in the 2018 Leaf reports. If you look at News Coulomb (on you tube) in his 120K mile update on his Bolt, when talking about degradation, the actual is like ~13%, but then mentions that GM took a couple kilowatts away, so believes degradation was only 9%. This sounds a lot like what we see in the leaf, where 5% is relatively quickly taken off the board. Tesla also applied some updates kind of "hiding" a few kilowatts. While in a wholly different price range, I guess eTron, EQC, and iPace maybe did it correctly by starting the battery with a max charge of 90%. And in this way, didn't need to frustrate their user base later.

      Delete
    3. Well, I am collecting LEAF Spy screenshots for anyone who cares to respond to the various posts I have made and if you check out my latest blog; Summer Range test, there is one guy who posted his screen and its 100% SOC! I have never seen that before! He is at 88% as well with under 20,000 miles so I would stop doing full charges if I were him!

      Delete